In honor of my 23rd birthday…
1. Teddy Grahams are an acceptable snack even if you aren’t a kid. Have no shame.
2. Don’t overthink. Let things happen. You don’t need to control everything.
3. Read often. It’s the closest you’ll ever come to living multiple lives, and it’s cheap travel.
4. Hot showers are a top tip for healing yourself from a bad day.
5. If you need to cry, watch something sad and make yourself cry. You’ll feel better afterwards.
6. Travel often. Even if it’s just a short day trip.
7. Journal your unfiltered thoughts.
8. Long islands are expensive, but you’ll ultimately pay less because you only need 1-2.
9. Christmas lights are good decor for the whole year.
10. Candles have this magic power where they suck the negative energy from a room. Use it wisely.
11. Fully embrace that healthy “eat some dark chocolate every day” habit.
12. Name your plants. It will motivate you to keep them alive.
13. There isn’t a time minimum or maximum on most things in life. You’re not “behind” or a “late bloomer” because your life isn’t at the same place as someone else’s at the same age. Everyone has their own life, and things happen at their own pace for each person. Lives aren’t made with a cookie cutter. Structure your own life, and do what you want when you want to do it. (this is my long-winded way of saying “age is just a number”)
14. Cut the amount of time you spend worrying in half.
15. If you feel overwhelmed while trying on bathing suits in Target… pause and take a deep breath.
16. Other people don’t see you the way that you see yourself.
17. Never be ashamed for taking medicine.
18. Dye your hair as often as you like. Change your look as often as you like. Have fun with it.
19. Don’t wear a scarf when you cook.
20. Spotify is a gift from the musical gods.
21. Emus will bite you. And it will hurt.
22. History is interesting. Pay attention, and find inspiration from it.
23. Always celebrate your birthday like it’s a new year.